Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Importance of Stories

Our lives are a web of stories, weaving in and out with the stories of others. When we are gone, some of the threads of our stories continue in the lives of family and friends. The strongest threads live on in our children, and we can strengthen those threads by telling the stories of our lives to them.

As I sort through the debris left behind after Mom's passing, I realize that there are stories I don't know....threads of the web of her life that have been cut and lost. There's no one left who can connect the broken fragments. So, in the interest of family continuity, I will post a story or two in the hopes that the threads will connect the generations.

My mother, Anna Kathrin Leigh, was the only daughter of Roy Earl Leigh and Kathrin Callie Heard. My grandparents (grandfather especially) raised my mom with the intention that she would never marry and would take care of them in their old age. Mom didn't marry until she was in her 30's, and the entrance of my father onto the scene was not appreciated by my grandfather.

The animosity between them was an ongoing factor in my family. Daddy rarely went over to my grandparents' house. I don't remember my grandfather ever coming into my parents' home, although my grandmother visited often.

My grandparents paid off my parents' house note as it neared the end of the term, as a generous gesture, but my father interpreted it as implying that he couldn't make the payments.

Sad that such anger and resentment went on so long.

No comments: