Thursday, February 09, 2006

February 09, 2006 - After a pause, I'm blogging

I started this blog long ago, in another lifetime, it seems... before Mom passed away. I'll fill in some of the missing events as I go, so if you see new posts that seem dated in the past, that's why.

I'm back in Austin, cleaning Mom's house for the last time. It's been almost a year since she passed, and it is time to get everything out so that the house can be rented. Hopefully, my friend Terese is moving in next month.

My intention is to post thoughts about the experience of 'deconstructing' Mom's life as we sort her possessions and decide what to keep, what to discard, and what to distribute to family and friends. It is not an easy job, even with the passage of time. Almost every day something comes to light that triggers memories or sheds light into events of the past of which I was unaware.

Today a box of pictures that I had never seen was discovered in the top of the closet of the smaller bedroom. Many of them predate even my sister's birth. There are pictures of my grandparents when their hair wasn't grey, pictures of Mom and Daddy fishing and deer hunting, and lots of pictures of Kathy as a young child. It is especially touching to see her with our dad; his love for her shines through the years, even in black and white photos.

No comments: