Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday, Monday

I thought I was going to do office work this morning and run down to Thayer in the middle of the day, but I awoke to an intimidating weather report. We were supposed to have wind and rain by mid-day. Plans were shuffled, and I headed to Thayer after securing everything for the weather.

The weather gods didn't see the forecast. Finished all my shopping at Wal-Mart, Hirsch Feed, and Harp's grocery store, and it didn't rain. Bought the van a new battery. Went to the post office. No rain.

Came home, ate lunch, tried to take a nap. The lawyer's office called with the news that the letters testamentary from the court had come in, and the UPS delivery man scared the dogs... or they scared him.... whichever.

Packaged up goat blood and milk samples to ship off for testing (routine stuff), scooted to town to the post office and the lawyers office, and then discovered that the bank closes at 3:00 PM. So, I'll have to go BACK to town on Tuesday. It's a ten mile drive one way, and I really try to avoid making that trip daily.

The plan for doing paperwork never materialized, either. I started on the inventory for the estate because I have thirty days to get that done and turned in to the probate court. I only inventoried the garage and workshop, but it's a step in the right direction.

Here is a wonderful poem by Wendell Berry that my good friend, Angela, sent me. It certainly applies at this point in my life, and I felt much better after reading it.

No, no, there is no going back.
Less and less you are
that possibility you were.
More and more you have become
those lives and deaths
that have belonged to you.
You have become a sort of grave
containing much that was
and is no more in time, beloved
then, now, and always.
And so you have become a sort of tree
standing over a grave.
Now more than ever you can be
generous toward each day
that comes, young, to disappear
forever, and yet remain
unaging in the mind.
Every day you have less reason
not to give yourself away.

~ Wendell Berry ~



No comments: