Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Life Going In An Unexpected Direction

Shortly after my last post, we had Thanksgiving, the Longhorn/Aggie game, and life settled into a routine again. For a couple of days.

I went to Missouri to help out with Lonnie's situation. Kathleen had foot surgery, and then Minnie, Lonnie's mom, fell and shattered her right shoulder. She had to have shoulder joint replacement surgery and is now living with Lonnie and Kathleen.

Over that holiday weekend, I had a feeling of needing to call Nathan and Wendy. I fought it off for a couple of days, then called. Turns out Nathan had taken Cole (age 2 1/2) to the Emergency Room on Saturday, November 25, because he was limping and reluctant to walk.

Within three days, Cole was admitted to the hospital and cancer was suspected. Every family's worst nightmare was coming true for us.

I left Missouri on Thursday and flew to San Diego to be house sitter and backup for Wendy and Nathan. Dan drove out the next week. By December 9th, Cole was being transported to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.

What I will record here are my thoughts on being a grandmother of a very ill little boy. It has been an emotional roller coaster for all of us, and after seeing the wonderful job that Wendy and Nathan are doing recording their experiences, I didn't want to intrude on their carepages.com website. I have this little corner of the Internet of my own.

No comments: