Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve, 2006

It's the morning of Christmas Eve. Dan and I are home in Ganado. Nathan, Wendy, and Cole are in Memphis for Cole's cancer treatment. Travis and MaryAlice are in Austin, doing Christmas with her family.

We got over two inches of rain with a very windy cold front last night, so the yard and plants are well watered. I wish the Christmas elves would come weed all my flowerbeds, rebuild my rasied vegetable beds, and rake the leaves.

Yesterday was spent at Jimmy's, making smoked sausage, head sausage with barley, and tamales. We worked from 9:30 till 4:30 in the afternoon, and my legs and back are a bit tired today, but it was a wonderful soothing project. Just steady work with good tasting products to show for it at the end of the day.

Today will be spent doing the preparations for a small Christmas dinner. There's no reason to bake a huge turkey for the two of us, so I'll be cooking just a turkey breast. Of course, one must have all the side dishes, too, so it's really not any less work.

I've also got to get some sorting and throwing away and storing things done as well. It's especially difficult now that I've been gone so much dealing with various crisis situations over the last two years, and my house has acquired much too much furniture and too many family keepsakes. Some hard decisions about what to keep are going to have to be made.

There's much to be done this week and next, but I'm going to try to keep my focus on today. What is...is. I can only live in the present.

No comments: