Friday, July 14, 2006

A Positive Frame of Mind

Over on www.homesteadingtoday.com, there are some folks who just LOVE to be negative, especially if it's a gloom and doom prediction based on a recent media story.

One of the most prolific negative posters started a thread this morning, predicting what was going to happen as fuel prices rise. "
Purchases of things other than what is needed to maintain what we presently have will be very rare. Watch for headlines stating 'starvation in the cities', you will be rewarded. Collage educations will be worthless, learning to survive will be priceless.
The depression of the 30's will appear as being a cake walk, compared to whats coming. I expect to see small compounds banning together to survive, we are headed to third world status; maybe not within my life time but in the near future. Teach your children how to raise foods, hunt and fish, defend their selves, there is no one available to bail us out..."

For some reason, I have a difficult time staying out of these silly discussions, and I posted a very short simple rebuttal saying that we can't predict the future and that I preferred not to tell myself and others negative stories about what may happen.

That opened the floodgates to the other Negative Nellies, and when one of them said that my problem was that I wear rose colored glasses, my patience snapped. Herewith, my reply....

You know, I just am totally amazed every time I get hammered for positive thinking. There are some folks on this board that just can't stand it when someone stands up for not being gloom and doom. You'd think I'd learn to keep my mouth shut.

I will be more specific:

A. We bought Howard Ruff's _How to live in the coming bad years_ back in the 70's. Then, we bought gold and silver, stocked up on emergency food, etc etc. His predictions fell on their fanny.

B. A few years ago, we heard all about how the Mexicans were going to march up Highway 59 and invade. They didn't.

C. We heard about all the diseases that were supposed to wipe out half the population and decimate the ecomony. They didn't.

D. We read on other threads about the "decline of the small town," but if you LOOK, there are thriving, wonderful small towns. I know this, I live near one and travel through them frequently.

E. I have faith in the citizens of the United States and their ability to respond to whatever the world economy throws at us.

F. What I don't do is fall for every media-hyped Chicken Little story.

G. We have traveled internationally for business, and I realize that our 'middle class' is so far more wealthy that most of the rest of the world that our whining about it makes us a laughing stock on a global level.

I don't have rose colored glasses, and I resent the personal attack(s.) What I do have is a paid for home, a garden, and a plan. Because we have been working our plan for 30 years, we are farther down the homestead road than a lot of the people on this list, and I get hammered for that, too. We are successful, and we have worked hard to get here.

And some of you don't like that.

No comments: